Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Day of Personal Bests

by Michelle Albertus

This morning on my way to the track to watch One Lap, I switched on my radar detector (thanks, Dad!) and cruised out across rolling farms, past grazing cattle and wheat fields.  As I got closer to High Plains, tractors began to share the road with race cars.  The day was beautiful, with fluffy white clouds and temperatures in the 60's.  A perfect day for racing.

My family has been looking forward to this day for quite some time... ever since we had news that the 2012 One Lap schedule would include our "home" race track, High Plains Raceway in Deer Trail, Colorado.   My dad Jerry and my brother Ric were cheered on today by a crowd of family and friends, some of whom had never seen One Lap in person... we had only heard colorful, entertaining stories! 
Auntie June in the Mustang!

Ric Getting Ready for his Run
It was so exciting to see all of the cars and teams I had been reading about this week.  I arrived just in time to watch the leaders run... blazing fast and super fun to watch!  Soon enough it was Ric's turn to run.  Ric put down a personal best at High Plains and moved into 22nd place in the morning session.  We were all thrilled with this result and looked forward to a good run for Dad in the afternoon.  

Ric's wife Caitlin, and Friends Tony and Sebastian
Porsche Parking Area... for Michelle, Tony, and Sebastian
A lively discussion of driving skill included the following analysis by my Dad, "Professional drivers wait to brake before the corners until they see God.  Accomplished amateur drivers brake when they see Jesus.  Ric says he brakes when he sees baby Jesus.  I brake when I hear organ music!"  Fellow One Lapper Eric added, "I brake when I see Punxsutawney Phil!"  The laughs and fun continued through lunch, with Dad, Ric, and friend Loye doing a quick brake bleed on Scarlet before the afternoon run. 
Dad and Brock Jr Right Before his Run
Mom (Peach) hugs Dad After a Great Run!
Dad's run looked great, and sure enough, he too had put in a new personal best at High Plains!  When he heard his time, he had a wide smile, and said, "I'll take that!"  53rd place today, his best result yet!  He and Ric both are having a great time, and their love for the sport and passion for cars and racing is inspiring.  A great day, good friends, family love and support, and some way cool fast cars... WOW!  I think I am officially hooked on One Lap!  GO OLD CROWS!  Next stop: Hastings, Nebraska. 

Video Highlights from today...

No comments:

Post a Comment