Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It's Tony's fault

by Ric Albertus

It all started shortly after I took a job in 2007 at Evergreen Bicycle Outfitters working for one Tony Song.  I had no idea then that Tony was a master of manipulation and would convince me to spend all of my money and knowingly enter into a new addiction.  So it began, and months after first discussing One Lap of America (OLOA,) my Dad, Tony, our friend Sebastian, and myself were on our way to Skip Barber driving school to get two days of instruction - the minimum required to enter OLOA. 
Ric, Tony and Sebastian
The plan was hatched - we'd enter in 2009.  Tony and Sebastian would pilot Tony's Lotus and my friend Loye Troxler would co-pilot with me in Merlot Magic (my 2000 Boxster S) - aptly named due to it's lovely maroon color, fine nutty notes, and fruity delicious finish.  I had asked my Dad on our trip to Skip Barber if OLOA was something he would entertain doing at some point and I remember him responding with a look that very clearly just said, "What?  So, let me get this straight - me sitting in a car for a week, no sleep and bad food?"  The Thanks, but No Thanks message was delivered loud and clear.  He also reminded me that Colorado was about to get a new race track, High Plains Raceway, which he could drive to in one hour, spend the day open-lapping, and promptly return to his lovely wife, a nice meal and his own bed. 

But Tony is a persistent fellow, and would ask my Dad every time they were at the track together for the next three years, "Hey Jerry, so are you gonna do One Lap this year?"  Tony's tone was always the same, clearly suggesting that, of course you know that you can't resist, so just say Yes!  This year I asked my Dad, "Hey Pop, think you would be interested in One Lap this year?  It's coming to High Plains Raceway."  His expression was different this time.  He smiled, leaned back and said "What car would we take?"  I had already sold Merlot Magic to fellow One Lapper Eric Scheimer.  My Dad's Viper scares the crap out of me, so The Boss 302 idea was born. All we needed was the actual car..........