Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Honey I bought a car!

By Jerry Albertus

Boss Laguna Seca waiting for us in Tucson
With that red top, her name has to be... "Scarlet"
Ric and I had lots of discussions about what to take for a car on One Lap.  Since, for us, this is about the adventure and the personal challenge, we knew enough to leave the top levels to the pros.  However, a nice, modern, high performance ride was desired.  Ric is a fan of the German performance cars and I prefer the American Mopar types.  So it was a natural choice when Ric suggested I consider the new Ford Mustang Boss Laguna Seca, a step out of both of our comfort zones.

A check with the local dealers revealed that their allotment of this limited production car had been sold long ago for thousands above the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.  Searching and watching Auto Trader and eBay, we found some cars in distant parts of the US. But the price was still above list.  Then, one was listed on eBay in Tuscon, AZ, which is only a day or two away from our Colorado base.  Maybe I’ll place a bid of the list price to get the negotiations opened.  Hmmm, no one has even bid on this.  OK, I’m going to place a bid.  BAM, bid entered!  BAM, You are the high bidder!  BAM, your bid is above the reserve!  BAM, The bid is BELOW the MSRP!  BAM, Time's up!  HOLY COW …… You WIN!

Now there are lots of details to attend to.  And, I’ll need to tell my wife Peach about the new lady in my life!!  “Hi Honey, how would you like to fly to Tucson tomorrow?”  “Sure, why?”  “Honey, I bought (another) Car!"