Thursday, February 23, 2012

You think I should do What?

by Jerry Albertus

One of my life long dreams was to own a sports car.  This fascination with going fast began and ended one evening in 1954, when after going with some friends to see the movie "Johnny Dark" starring Tony Curtis, I rode along on a clandestine time trial drive over the mountain roads of Montana.  This adventure left us all with sprains, bumps and bruises, but the '49 Chevy was finished.  I then had a 'meeting' with my parents which terminated my high speed ambitions for over 50 years.




My son Ric and his band of Evergreen, Colorado buddies have for the past three years participated in the One Lap Of America, organized by Brock Yates Jr.  They have a tremendous enthusiasm for this 3000 plus mile road trip with its daily interruptions of time trials at some of the most interesting and challenging race tracks that Brock can string together.  In the fall of 2011, they were recounting the highs and hijinks of the 2011 event when they turned to me and said, "You know what we think you should do?  You should come on the 2012 One Lap!"